How Bespoke Software Development can Transform Your Business?
Software has become an integral part of every organization. Whether to understand key performance indicators or enhance productivity, all the major tasks are handled through software. Organizations have two primary options when picking the right software: going with off-the-shelf software or getting bespoke software development services. Bespoke software development helps meet the business’s needs and wants, allowing it to grow exponentially. Furthermore, it gives organizations personalized solutions, better security, and enhanced productivity.
Here are some insights on Bespoke Software Development:
- According to a report by Grand View Research, the global custom software development services market size was valued at $115.6 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.1% from 2021 to 2028.
- A survey by GoodFirms found that 55.8% of businesses prefer bespoke software development over off-the-shelf software solutions.
- Bespoke software development can lead to significant cost savings in the long run. A study by McKinsey & Company found that a company can achieve up to 30% savings by implementing a bespoke software solution.
- Another survey by TechRepublic found that 75% of IT decision-makers believe that bespoke software development leads to better business outcomes.
- According to a survey by Statista, the most common reasons why businesses opt for bespoke software development include the need for customized features (51%), the need for greater control over the software (43%), and the need for better integration with existing systems (39%).
This article is going to elaborate on bespoke software development including its benefits, types, development process, and comparison with other software development options available.
What is Bespoke Software?
Every business has unique needs which may not be fulfilled with off-the-shelf software solutions. All such organizations should go with bespoke software where the software is made specifically to meet their custom demands. After understanding their requirements and goals, the software will be made from scratch, allowing them to get the most out of their solution.
To help you understand bespoke software better, here are some of the top examples of this software type:
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM): Different business types have different target audiences. The factor that sets organizations apart from each other is their way of approaching customers. A bespoke CRM software can help manage interaction with customers regarding marketing, sales, and customer service by catering to the organization’s specific needs.
- Enterprise Resource Planning System (ERP): An ERP system is an overall package for an organization that can help in managing human resources, finance, customer relationship, and other enterprise aspects. Bespoke ERP systems have multiple modules and are specifically made for large enterprises.
- Custom Business Programs: Depending on the business, bespoke business software can be built that will help in meeting the desired demands of the organization, including project management, sales, and inventory management, among others.
- E-commerce Software Solutions: Such solutions can help build e-commerce websites that can be customized as per the needs. With bespoke e-commerce software solutions, the users can offer customized product catalogs, payment options, gateways, shipping, or any other feature they like to add for a better user experience.
Types of Bespoke Software:
Every organization has specific needs, and bespoke software is developed to meet these requirements. However, several types of bespoke software fulfill different needs. Here are the most popular types of bespoke software you should know to make the right decision for your organization.
- Cloud-Based Bespoke Application: The IT industry is dominated by the cloud, and organizations are also moving forward with cloud-based bespoke applications. These apps are hosted on remote servers and can be accessed online. Whether it is data storage or virtualization, cloud-based bespoke apps are proven efficient and cost-effective in the long run.
- Desktop Bespoke Software: Desktop software is created to work on desktop and laptop systems and can perform various tasks, be they personal or business-related. Depending on the usage, this bespoke software can be built for various platforms, including Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Bespoke Mobile Applications: With the rising number of smartphones worldwide, organizations are moving forward with creating bespoke mobile applications. As the capabilities of smartphones are increasing with new releases, the possibilities of using bespoke mobile applications are endless. Currently, almost every feature can be utilized on a smartphone. Moreover, these apps can be made for leading OS, including Android and iOS.
- Bespoke Web Applications: Bespoke web applications are hosted on a web server and can be accessed through a web browser. The benefit of such apps is that they can be accessed from any device with a web browser and an internet connection without any geographical barrier. Whether it is a desktop, mobile device, or even a console, if it is connected to the internet and has a web browser, it can access a bespoke web application.
- Bespoke Business Software: Bespoke business software is created to meet specific business requirements, including CRM, accounting, project management, sales, and many others. Such programs are specifically made for the organization’s internal use and are not for the general public. However, it is not limited to this factor.
- Bespoke Database Development: Bespoke database is a custom database solution where a specific database schema, data storage architecture, and data model is created and optimized per the organization’s requirements. With bespoke database development, the organization can improve data management, increase efficiency, and streamline workflows.
Who Uses Bespoke Software?
Various industries require custom solutions for efficient productivity, and bespoke software is one of the best ways to achieve this goal. This software type is used in all the leading industries, and some of the most popular ones are mentioned below:
- Government: Government organizations require the utmost security and customization in a program, which is why bespoke software is considered the most suitable option. Various departments in a government can use this software type for legions of purposes, including national security, public services, law enforcement, and many others.
- Healthcare: Healthcare is one of the biggest and most significant industries. Even though there are various off-the-shelf programs available for this industry, they may not fulfill the specific needs of every health institution. Bespoke software can help the healthcare industry in patient management, clinical research, and electronic medical records, among other tasks.
- Startups: Every large enterprise with a big idea was once a startup. Such small-scale companies work on a unique model, so they mostly need a custom software system. Bespoke software for a startup makes sense as it will efficiently cater to their unique needs and requirements.
- Finance: Financial industry cannot take any risk and compromise security. As security is one of their top priorities, bespoke software is one of the best options for financial organizations. Moreover, a customized software application can help them in risk management, investment analysis, accounting, and trading.
- Retail: Bespoke software is trendy in the retail industry due to huge competition. With the competitive advantage that bespoke software provides, it has become a rising name in the retail industry. Inventory management, customer relationship management, e-commerce, and quality control are some of the purposes for which bespoke software solutions can help.
What is Bespoke Software Development?
Bespoke software development is the process of developing unique software catering to the needs of an organization. Such software is made from scratch on an organization’s demand for its specific needs.
One of the biggest perks of bespoke software development is that it can help organizations streamline their workflow and enhance their efficiency, allowing them a competitive advantage.
Depending on the purpose, the program can have unique features particular to the tasks in mind. Moreover, the built software is highly customizable and secure, with the flexibility to add or remove any feature they want on demand.
As bespoke software offers maximum control over the software, any external influence leaves a negligible impact on the organization. With that in mind, several goliaths in their specific industry prefer having bespoke software instead of off-the-shelf solutions.
Bespoke Software Development vs. Custom Software Development.
The closest software type to bespoke software development is custom software development. Often, uninitiated users may call bespoke software as custom-developed software. Undeniably, they have several similarities between them and one of them being made specifically for the users.
However, having legions of similarities does not eliminate the possibility of differences. There are minor differences between the two software development types which sets them apart.
Bespoke software development is made to cater to the client’s unique needs from scratch. The development process includes using custom code and algorithms to provide the utmost customization to the user.
On the contrary, custom software development involves building the software using existing frameworks and tools that are customized per the client’s requirements.
Conclusively, bespoke software development offers better customization and a higher personalized approach than custom software development. Though the difference between the two is minor, it may still influence an organization’s final decision for maximum personalization.
Why Use Bespoke Software Development?
Getting bespoke software is a hefty investment in terms of money as well as time. Before investing, it is crucial to understand why you need it. Considering that fact, the following are the top reasons you should go with bespoke software development.
- Custom-Made Solution: Organizations looking for specific features in a single software should go with bespoke software development. Rather than having multiple programs, bespoke software development can provide them with a custom-made solution for all their needs in a single application eradicating the need to manage multiple programs. The solution will be a hundred percent custom, giving them only the required features.
- Better Productivity and Growth: As the bespoke software will provide the features you require for optimum performance, it will enhance your organization’s productivity. Moreover, such solutions are highly customizable where you can add or remove any feature you want; scalability will never be an issue. As your organization grows and demands rise, you can alter the product as per the needs to fit in the present scenario.
- Seamless Integrations: Integrations play a significant role in software to enhance its overall performance. Such integrations can be added to the program during the development process, saving much time in the future. After the development, the software will be ready for integrations out of the box.
- Quick Issue Resolution: Like other software, bespoke applications may face several issues while using it. However, unlike off-the-shelf programs where bug fixing relies on a third party, fixing the issue in bespoke software relies on your hands. You can prioritize issues and fix them quickly to resume optimum functioning.
While there are several downsides to bespoke software development, like high initial costs and longer waiting times. Organizations looking for quick and budget-friendly solutions might not prefer bespoke software. However, it is worth noting that the benefits it offers outshine its limitations. This is the reason why the usage of bespoke software products is rising rapidly.
Bespoke Software Development Process.
One of the best ways to get bespoke software is through a bespoke software development company. The agency follows a customized process as per the software and ensures that the client’s needs are fulfilled.
With that in mind, here is the detailed bespoke software development process that you should know to get the most out of the development service. Remember that this is a generic process and should be customized as the software demands.
Step 1: Understanding the Requirements:
The initial step in bespoke software development is understanding the requirements. The development company will set up numerous meetings with their client to identify your goals and expectations from the bespoke software, including specifications, targets, features, and all the other factors the client wants in their software.
Step 2: Analyzing the Requirements:
Once the requirements are understood, the development company will begin analyzing these requirements. Based on these requirements, the entire software foundation will be laid out. This is the phase where the Software Requirement Specification document will be created to ensure that both parties remain on the same page.
Step 3: Designing:
In the third step of bespoke software development, the company will create a roadmap of how they will create the software and meet their client’s demands. Here, the entire system’s architecture will be designed depending on the data accumulated in the previous steps. Other factors like deadlines, risks, and budget are also considered in this phase.
Step 4: Development:
Development consumes the most time and effort of all the phases as the product will be built here. The developers will begin writing the code based on the design created earlier. When the previous actions are done correctly, the coding will become seamless for the developers. The actual time consumption and effort will depend on the development model and the complexity of the software.
Step 5: Testing:
One of the most crucial steps in the entire process is testing. As the name suggests, this phase involves running various tests on the bespoke software to ensure it functions as anticipated and is free from any bugs. Both functional and non-functional tests are performed either through automation or manually. One of the most typical and effective testing methods is beta testing, where the program is released for a limited number of users. These users use the software and provide feedback which is used to make the final product better. After the testing, the bugs are reported to the development team for rectification. Once fixed, the program is tested again to ensure that the bug is eradicated.
Step 6: Release and Maintenance:
Once the testing team nods, it is time to release the product. Many believe that the process ends at this step; however, they forget that software development is ongoing. Post its release; the company has to maintain the program by fixing any issues that arise. Moreover, it can be customized by adding or removing features to meet the varying demands of the organization.
Benefits of Working with a Bespoke Software Development Company.
When you have decided to get bespoke software for your organization, you have two options; in-house development and outsourcing the process to a bespoke software development company. Among these two, most organizations prefer to go with the latter. As you are already aware of the process, it is time to understand the benefits you can leverage while working with a bespoke software development company.
- Cost-Effective: Without a doubt, getting bespoke software is expensive compared to off-the-shore software. With an in-house team, you have to bear staffing expenses like incentives, hiring, insurance, and many others, along with the dedicated development, testing, and maintenance tools. However, all these expenses can be minimized while working with a bespoke software development agency. You will pay for the service you are getting, which is highly flexible. Due to this, getting the development service from a reputed development agency is cost-effective.
- Risk Mitigation: Building bespoke software comes with numerous risks that should be handled with utmost care or could hamper the outcome. Bespoke software developers have worked on legions of projects, giving them the experience to understand most of the risks associated with the process. They can identify the risks and create a mitigation plan for effective risk management with zero or minimal damage to the product.
- Faster Delivery: When you hire a bespoke software development agency, you are almost guaranteed faster delivery than an in-house team. The reason is their expertise in producing such programs and access to the right tools. They will always have a dedicated team working on your project and will complete it within or before the stipulated time.
- Customized software development service: One primary advantage of bespoke software development service is its ability to provide a tailored solution specific to your business requirements. When you create bespoke software, you can customize its features and determine how the software will function. This customized approach allows you to align the software with your organization’s workflows, goals, and processes.
- Better Control and Ownership: With bespoke software, you will get control and ownership of the intellectual property of the software. You are the supreme decision-maker, from the development roadmap to the features you want to add to the program. Furthermore, you can make changes to the program based on the user’s feedback, giving you a higher satisfaction rate.
Bespoke software development is a growing market that offers numerous benefits to businesses, including cost savings, greater control over the software, and customized features that can better meet the organization’s specific needs.
Whether you should go with bespoke software or not relies on your requirements. Organizations that require a customized solution with the utmost security should go with this software solution. If you fall under this category, you should connect with a reliable custom software application development company.
ThinkSys is a far-famed name in the software industry with 10+ years of experience providing software development and QA services.
Our bespoke software development agency evaluates the needs of your organization and
- Curates a customized roadmap dedicated to your company. By doing so, we ensure that your custom requirements are met without compromising the quality.
- Furthermore, you will get a dedicated team to work on your bespoke software application development, ensuring that the program is built in the shortest time possible. Not to forget the around-the-clock support our professionals provide to eradicate any issue in your custom software projects.
If you decide to move forward with your bespoke software development, connect with ThinkSys to learn about the timeline, project plan, and bespoke software development cost. Whether it is generic software product development or custom software development, ThinkSys is the name to connect to begin your software development journey.