Mobile application testing is one of the complex and strenuous testing activities for the testers due to involvement of multiple factors and conditions in it. Yes, mobile application testing needs to be carried out on each different and possible combination of factors related to functioning of the mobile apps such as device, operating system, platform, network configuration & settings, and many other relevant parameters. Thus, it makes the task of mobile testers more hectic and complex to ensure coverage of specified testing requirement and that’s too on each possible combination of devices, OS, platform, etc. along with their different versions and variants.
However, the job of mobile testers could be made easier with the involvement and the usage of testing tools in the mobile application testing process, which may significantly reduce their efforts and time in testing a mobile application.
The market is flooded with wide variety of mobile application testing tools advertising their proficiency and competency in testing the mobile apps. Availability of these tools and their appealing advertisement often confuses and misleads testers, ending up with the selection of inappropriate or ineffective tool along with worthless expenditure incurred over it.
Here, we are listing out some criteria which may be considered while selecting mobile application testing tools to fulfil and accomplish the need and requirement of testing both from the technical and business prospective.
- Targeted Platform:Selection of testing tool should be made with respect to the platform along with its different variant and versions, for which a mobile app is targeted and intended to function. However, it is preferred that apart from targeting one or major platforms, the testing tool should able to provide testing for other platforms also. This ensures the cross-platform testing of the mobile applications.
- Code and Build Requirement and Need:Software code and build is a matter of concern with respect to their privacy and security. Thus, code or the build should not be shared or exported outside the testing team, boundaries or environment to any unknown or unauthorized entity. The selected tool should not compromise with the privacy and security of software source code and build in any respect.
- Additional features:Besides automating the mobile app tests, a testing tool should able to provide additional and useful features. It should be able to deliver multiple functionalities such as
- Logging and reporting defects.
- Filtering logged defect with respect to priority, time, type and other relevant parameters.
- Monitoring and tracking the bug.
- Able to ease QA or Project manager in viewing the overall and summarized status of the tests.
- Continuous testing:The automated testing tool should able to deliver continuous testing to evaluate the degree of impact caused to software due to change or modification on code. The changes produced in the code should be readily tested by the tool.
- Third party bug tracking system:Selected tool should able to support and integrate with other or third-party bug tracking system.
- Team Management:The tool along with the task of testing the mobile app should also provide the advantage of managing the activities of testing team which may include roles and responsibilities, task assigned to each member, status of the task, feedback and reviews.
Above stated are some general criteria for selecting the testing tool, however a tester based on his/her experience and rational thinking and along with the help of business team, may include and consider more parameters for selecting best testing tool for testing the mobile app.